Earls House Hospital Reprovision, Durham
A series of individual special needs residential developments, both new-build and adaptations of existing homes, to provide new supported living accommodation for 55 residents of Earls House Hospital in Durham, integrated into a number of residential areas, mainly in County Durham.
The schemes range from single residential units to several three or four bedroom units on individual sites. The emphasis of the scheme was working with three care providers; Oaklea Trust, St. Anne’s Shelter and Turning Point, to provide carefully designed units to meet each of the individuals’ special needs. The designs take into account the individuals’ hobbies and activities and accommodates specific needs identified by the Occupational Therapists and the rest of the Care Team.
For each scheme, a series of project team meetings were held, chaired by Phil Newbold, Senior Associate at Dewjo’c Architects, at which the preliminary designs were developed in consultation with the Earls House Care Managers, the Care Providers and the Architectural Team, including the partnering Main Contractor.
The design approach reflects the sensitivity that is necessary for the success of the integration of special needs residential accommodation into existing communities. The scheme proposals also involved extensive liaison with Planning Authorities and undertaking delicate neighbourhood consultation exercises.
The scheme had a total value of approx £4m and was completed in June 2005
- Greendale Cottage, band A passive house / office with a SAP Energy Rating of 97
- Elm Tree House: Special needs housing adaptation for client with severe disabilities and live-in care team requirments
- Bonnygrove Farm Special Needs Home
- Remodelling & refurbishment of multi-storey social housing
- Oban Court, Extra Care Sheltered Housing extensions & remodelling
- Special needs housing adaptations & new build, Earls House Hospital
- New detached house Mountaincastle, County Waterford, Republic of Ireland
- Conversion of Grade 2 Listed former Co-op building 50 luxury apartments
- COMMERCIAL & LEISURE
- More projects...